This time on Behind the Pixel, I talk to Nick “Woz” Wozniak and Ian Flood from Yacht Club Games: The studio behind one of my favorite games of all time–Shovel Knight. Join me as I dig into the early days of their Kickstarter, their on-going stretch goals, and the future of the studio. Listen in to learn all about the crowd funded success and its community centered studio.
Nick Wozniak is a pixel artist at Yacht Club Games. Follow him on Twitter @norkwoz.
Ian Flood is a programmer at Yacht Club Games. Follow him on Twitter @Ianmflood.
Listen to the show above or on a podcast service of your choice!
Dope Facts about Yacht Club Games
- They created the first third-party Amiibo (and should make more).
- They raised a total of $311,502 on Kickstarter. That’s 315% more than their goal of $75,000!
- Shovel Knight has both a “Butt Mode” and a Jar Jar Binks inspired mode that replaces choice text with the words “butt,” “meesa,” and “yoosa.”
Links to articles mentioned in the interview
(Listed in order of publication date)
- Kickstarter page
- Sales Breakdown: One month later!
- Feat Unlocked: One Million Copies of Shovel Knight Sold!
- Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack
- Next game Twitter poll results
- Japan Localization
- “The Making of Shovel Knight” by Chris Schilling, Edge magazine Issue 300, pg. 90-93
- Specter of Torment Release Info!!
“We believe in Shovel Knight. We know that the final game is going to be great. We’re so sure of this that we quit our full time jobs to work on it. We’ve poured a massive amount of time, money and effort into our labor of love, but it’s not enough to finish the game. In order to make Shovel Knight a reality, we need you!”- Yacht Club Games from their Kickstarter for Shovel Knight
This episode was recorded on April 11, 2017.